his June marks yet another Pride Month: a time for celebration in the LGBTQ community. To mark the occasion, Marvel has dedicated a set of variant covers depicting characters within the LGBTQ community. In addition, each of the covers have been designed by gay and transgender artists.
Star Wars, and specifically Star Wars comics, has taken great steps at representation in the areas of sexuality and gender identity. In 2020, the Doctor Aphra (2016) comic book won the award for Outstanding Comic Book from the GLAAD Awards. However, this effort has extended beyond everyone’s favorite rogue archaeologist. Here are the characters that will be representing Pride for Star Wars and Marvel in the month of June.
- Rae Sloane - Darth Vader (2020) #13 - Cover by J.J. Kirby
- Doctor Aphra - War of the Bounty Hunters #1 - Cover by Babs Tarr
- Yrica Quell - Bounty Hunters #13 - Cover by Jacopo Camagni
- Terec and Ceret - The High Republic #6 - Cover by Javier Garron
- Lando Calrissian - Star Wars (2020) #14 - Stephen Byrne
- Sana Starros - Doctor Aphra (2020) #11 - Jan Bazaldua
All of these issues are variant covers, so they will not be the primary version you see on the shelf. It is best to check with your local comic book store to see how you can secure a copy for yourself.
You can see the full announcement for the Pride Month covers on StarWars.com.
For more information on LGBTQ characters in Star Wars, check out our Doctor Aphra Collection.